Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The castles of Augustusburg and Falkenlust at Bruhl

I decided to write about the Castles of Augustusburg and Falkenlust at Bruhl. The pictures that I have looked at of both castles were very intricate with detail and astonishing to know that these were built at the beginning of the 18th century. These are among the earliest examples of Rococo architecture in the 18th century. The topics that interested me into looking at these castles was the history, the garden/landscaping, and the interior of both castles.




The Castle of Augustusburg and Falkenlust at Bruhl was listed on the UNESCO cultural world heritage site since 1984. It was the fifth of now over 30 sites in Germany to be listed. Falkenlust was built from 1729 to 1740, it was built as a hunting castle. Clemens August ruled a large part of northwestern Germany and along with hunting as his hobby he also liked building castles. Being built so long ago really makes one think of the hard work that was put into this, since they didn't have the machines that we do today. The 18th century in Germany was in a time of conflict between two largest states, Austria and Prussia. So to imagine that something so beautiful can come out of a time of conflict is almost uncomprehensible.



The castle of Augustusburg has an amazing landscaped garden. It has a large pond that is surrounded by a lavished, rich in color garden with various winding hedges. From the pictures I have seen of Falkenlust I haven't seen too much of a garden or a landscaped view other than what the castle looks like, however this was built as a hunting castle.The Castle of Falkenlust has a beautiful white exterior; a picture that I came acrossed was taken at dusk and the palace lit up like nothing I have seen before with the shadows of the fence in the front and trees in the back. I think gardens are a way of expressing your own artistic expression and how you want others to view yourself. Both landscapes come with intricate details with the Castle of Augustusburg you can see the garden and landscaped views that will enlighten ones thinking, with the pictures I have seen of Falkenlust I can see the building itself and the view of the beautiful sillhouette of trees.



Both castles I became especially interested because of the detail of the interiors. Being interested in home decor and art myself I find it very appealing to the eye with the details of the staircases (which has been said to be magnificant that was designed by Johann Balthasar Neumann), the paintings on the walls and ceilings, and the use of color with many different shades and hues. The staircase at Augustusburg was meant to impress visitors that came to see Clemens. After WWII until 1994 Augustusburg was used as a reception hall for guests of state by the German president, as it was not far from Bonn, which was capital of Germany at that time. Living in Minnesota I have visited the Glensheen mansion, and to me that was the most breath taking building I personally been to; because of the detail of the walls, the decor and color schemes. However, knowing that these castles been built in the 18th century gave me a perspective of the detail that is almost never seen in any modern day building today or even the mansion that I personally been to because it was all manufactured as in wallpaper.

1 comment:

  1. Information given by:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustusburg_and_Falkenlust_Palaces,_Br%C3%BChl

    http://www.worldheritagesite.org/sites/bruhl.html

    http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/288

    ReplyDelete